My photo
East Coast USA, United States
Teach. Write. Engage. Speak. Porch Sit.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pickled Cherries (soak your fruit)

Cherries are my favorite fruit transformed from raw product to preserves, jam, butter, compote and dumplings. Cherry butter like Sweet Potato butter is something I could eat straight out of the jar as a treat or dessert, hold the bread. A dear friend in Philadelphia gifted me with a copy of the Mennonite Community Cookbook: Favorite Family Recipes by Mary Emma Showalter, 8th printing 1957. She earmarked the section on pickles and relishes as a starting point indicating that she's heard me talk about the chef on Hilton Head who pickles items in vodka, gin, tequila etc and wanted me to know it does not always require alcohol to arrive at a great pickled product (grinning as I write this on her behalf). The chef she refers to is Chef Russell Keane at Wise Guys a lovely wine/tappas locale on Hilton Head Island. I'm forever inquiring of Russell as to his latest creations, which are clearly visible to patrons in flamboyant large glass vessels showcased on the shelves behind the bar. So about 30 days from now I'm walking into Wise Guys with a glass jar of my own for the chef to try! I've married a recipe from the Mennonite cookbook with one from Michael Symon's 2009 Live to Cook which I don't have on my shelf just yet, but did locate an assortment of his pickling recipes via Google books.

RECIPE: Pickled Cherries

Makes about 2 quarts

Ingredients:
2 pounds bing cherries
2 cups red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 strips orange zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 bay leaf

Instructions:
Prick each cherry with a fork several times and put them in a nonreactive jar or container.
Mix the vinegar, sugar, salt, orange zest, black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, coriander seeds, and bay leaf in a nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so the liquid simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cook for 10 minutes.
Pour the liquid over the cherries (they should be completely submerged). When the concoction is completely cool, seal or cover the cherries, and refrigerate for up to 1 month.

Pickles by Michael Symon: Google Books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation

Life Enrichment is like a travel and learn program...offering infusions that make every day life thereafter far more interesting! ~ Ann-Marie Adams, Reflections on a Meaningful Life