My photo
East Coast USA, United States
Teach. Write. Engage. Speak. Porch Sit.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Unflappable Wings

We all have our preferences when it comes to food. Hot, cold, spicy, sweet, easy, or complex.  The one thing we might all agree on is the unflappable nature of certain recipes to deliver the foods we love consistently.  Much like our closest friendships, no matter the era or fashion these recipes stand the test of time to appeal across the ages.

I include such food items as wings, meatloaf, mac & cheese, brisket, cherry pie and fried chicken in this category of food. I had a small gathering of friends to precede another evening activity this past week and wanted to serve simple pick up food that was light but long on flavor.  I elected to serve an assortment of crostini (avocado, peach and salmon) and chicken wings.  Yes, chicken wings. I relish eating with my hands and my frequent guests have learned to expect the same decorum, but I'm not without care I keep utensils close by for those who simply can't partake.

I have a favorite wing recipe from Nigella Lawson that fits in this category of recipe. Actually its a recipe for Maple Chicken 'N' Ribs that I deliver as prepared or simply as wings.  It's a simple prep of ingredients, an overnight marinade and a bake off in the oven. I rarely ever venture beyond this tried and true favorite, but a feature "The wine beneath my wings" in the dining section of Hilton Head Monthly called "Big Tastes from a Small Island" lured me to consider a couple new wing options: Chili Garlic and Orange Chipotle Glazed.  Now the simplicity of Nigella's maple version still reins supreme, but these new additions make for a perfect trio offering at future gatherings.

Like new friends that fold into one's circle of pals with ease, these wings will please.
Life Enrichment is like a travel and learn program...offering infusions that make every day life thereafter far more interesting! ~ Ann-Marie Adams, Reflections on a Meaningful Life