My photo
East Coast USA, United States
Teach. Write. Engage. Speak. Porch Sit.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

HodgePodge Vol. 80

1. How many students were in your high school graduating class? Did you know most or all of them?
One would think the class president would know the answer to this question, however as time has slipped I'd literally have to do a page count in the year book to be accurate (and I'm lame).  The number 343 comes to mind quickly and I was 10th in my class. A comment about my graduating class is in order...we were a class of students who had been split into 3 high schools our senior year so I fathom what the true count would have been (hence why they built new schools to accommodate the population of students).  I knew most everyone as I was the editor for the year book and one can't pour over that many photographs and not become familiar in some sense. But true credit goes to FaceBook for the virtual reunion and recollection of my teen years.

2. What was the last thing you photographed?
Chickabe "Bebe"
In this era of smart phones with great cameras installed I'm not sure there isn't a day I don't take a photograph. Literally the last captured in digital format would be a picture of a one of my cats attempting to insert herself into my luggage to travel with me.  I don't think I've pulled out a conventional camera in a very long time, but I do own one.

3. Pickles, love them or loathe them? If its love what's something you eat that needs a pickle?
Pickles of all varieties~spicy, sweet, sour~appeal greatly.  I think every deli meat sandwich should have a side of pickle. One of my favorite dining options when visiting New York or New Jersey is a delicatessen's community bowl of pickles served at every seating. All time favorite jarred commercial product, Wickles Pickles; otherwise it's the "canners" back home that do it up right, best hostess gift in my book is a jar of home canned pickles.

4. What's a stereotype that you seem to perpetuate without meaning to?
That blondes have more fun. Though as I age the less platinum the shade the better chance at respect for the brain seems to be applying.:)

5. Ever been horseback riding? If so, is it something you enjoy? If not, do you have any interest? Did you watch the Kentucky Derby? Will you be watching the last leg of the Triple Crown this weekend?
Have been horseback riding, but would not classify myself as an equestrian.  Luckily my life circles include quite a few horse people so I get a fix either vicariously through them or at their invitation to take a ride.  As well, the circles of race horsing fans are wide in this part of the country so no race goes without a gathering of souls in elaborate hats with booze. I wouldn't miss the opportunity for gathering in celebration.

6. What is your favorite wedding movie?
I could very easily insert "Bridesmaids" here because I truly enjoyed the film for its stark look at the emotional upheaval friends incur when nuptials are in play, but I really never tire of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" or "Four Weddings and a Funeral." After that the second string would include,  "Mamma Mia," "Wedding Crashers," "27 Dresses," "Monsoon Wedding."

7. What is one tourist attraction in the USA that you'd like to see in person?
Has to be Yosemite National Park.  I have rarely ventured out West in my personal travels and this is the one site I would most like to take in before my last breath.

8. (Random Thought) I've known and know quite a large of lot amazing people in my lifetime. Some take a national and international stage in their accomplishments, while others simply achieve local notoriety. But none stands out in my mind like a local "singing librarian," Amanda Brewer.  Her talent is huge and only (in my opinion) overshadowed by her humble nature.  She's local and I'm only connected to her in a causal way through a local television reporter and a musician, but her story of desire for something beyond the reference desk is not one I take lightly. First of all librarians are my favorite people (it's blogged here) and second when someone's journey to carve out their niche in life is compelling you can't help but not want to call attention to it. If you've ever wished someone good fortune it would be Amanda Brewer so when she takes the stage this week as a guest "sit in" artist at Piccolo Spoleto with the band Blue Mudd I'm going to be there to hear and cheer her.
Life Enrichment is like a travel and learn program...offering infusions that make every day life thereafter far more interesting! ~ Ann-Marie Adams, Reflections on a Meaningful Life