My photo
East Coast USA, United States
Teach. Write. Engage. Speak. Porch Sit.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Carrots not just for dogs!

First, the local veterinarian indicated that I might want to add more carrots to my dog's diet. Then came my Go Red Heart Checkup at Coastal Carolina Hospital. Back to back these experiences were clear indicators that it was time for the dog and I to adopt a healthier regimen in our daily living. So we started this new regimen with carrots just like the vet ordered(sans the dog biscuits, sans the junk food and fat for the human). Carrots come in a wide range of varietals so preparation options are as diverse as potatoes. For me there was a simple first step, start with a great soup. My favorite locale to indulge in carrot soup is at Christine's Cafe on Hilton Head Island. Chef Christine makes a delish Carrot Ginger soup which features frequently on her specials board. My friend Chef Richard also features a Curried Carrot Bisque recipe on his blog...but for this Sunday's experience I'm using a recipe straight from FoodBuzz for Cumin, Coriander & Ginger scented Carrot Miso Soup. For the dog simply adding grated carrot to his food or offering baby carrots as treats did not entice him to cross over to this new way of life. Instead, for him it required pureeing steamed carrots and adding (in his presence)2 tablespoons to his meal. I can only imagine what this must read like to the non-animal lovers out there (admit it you are rolling your eyes). [Were time not plentiful there is a local option for such wholesome goodness for canines, Lucky Dog Cuisine, which simply requires purchase rather than process]. Carrots aren't just for humans (dogs).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation

Life Enrichment is like a travel and learn program...offering infusions that make every day life thereafter far more interesting! ~ Ann-Marie Adams, Reflections on a Meaningful Life