My photo
East Coast USA, United States
Teach. Write. Engage. Speak. Porch Sit.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Dad's two favorite things at Christmas

My dad's two most favorite food products to receive and consume at the holiday times are fruitcake and eggnog. We are talking obsession, has to be bought, has to be consumed, has to be enjoyed. Though our household went many years without celebrating Christmas (my mother essentially suffered a massive heart attack on Christmas eve 2001 and died 2 days later) we both have learned over time to embrace our sorrow, but not let our enjoyment of the season suffer in the process. Most especially the food components of the holiday. It is fair to say that neither of these particular holiday foods capture my full attention, but that has not stopped my dad from ordering fruitcake made by the monks at Gethsemani Farms and insisting that Pet Dairy eggnog be stocked in my refrigerator. This year I'm taking the plunge to make the eggnog from scratch. This Martha Stewart version has enough adult beverage in it to warrant a disclaimer for my beloved nondrinkers, but worth sharing with those that won't shy away from a bit of jolly juice. Enjoy!
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/favorite-eggnog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation

Life Enrichment is like a travel and learn program...offering infusions that make every day life thereafter far more interesting! ~ Ann-Marie Adams, Reflections on a Meaningful Life