My photo
East Coast USA, United States
Teach. Write. Engage. Speak. Porch Sit.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cumquat Duck with Chile Citrus Sauce

Had I known how easy duck is to prepare I might have attempted it far earlier than post 40 years of age (ok, way past 40). My all-time favorite duck dish to date was a breakfast dish of Duck Confit French Toast that was served at Maxies Supper Club in Ithaca, NY (I don't believe they continue to serve breakfast nor that this dish continues on the menu almost ten years later). That love of dish was accentuated by the atmosphere of the restaurant and my fondness for the owners and their staff. I'm rather over enthusiastic about duck at the moment so the holiday meal I've planned has two duck options. The Cumquat version comes from Alastair Hendy and the Crispy Duck recipe hails from Nigella Lawson (for the better part of a year I've idolized everything Nigella and though that admiration will continue I have shifted a great deal of attention to Mr. Hendy). Just saying the gentleman's name "Alastair" heralds the trumpets, much like the affection Elizabeth Gilbert has for saying "Attraversiamo." I know corny, but I like it and would name my first born as such were that not already well past capability, so it likely will be bestowed on a future cat I own. Back to cumquats. (Cumquats with a "c" is the British spelling). I relish citrus essence for its awakening quality. Grapefruit bath soaps, candied lemon peel, limeade koolaid, beaumont citrus room deodorizer, navel oranges pierced with peppermint sticks, all bring out the inner smile. Why cumquat? Nature's sweet tart. A sweet rind with a zesty tart center. You eat them as you would grapes, discarding the seeds (though I suspect some eat the seeds too just like some Lowcountry folks eat shrimp tails). Back to the why of cumquats. Truth be told, a friend who resides near Dade City, Florida sent cumquats from Kumquat Growers as a holiday gift and it seemed appropriate to translate the gift into a holiday food offering. Alastair sites them as the snowpea of the citrus world. His duck recipe was featured in a 2001 article in SeattlePI Soak up some sun with in-season citrus fruits along with an assortment of other citrus recipes. It is also contained in the 2000 text Cooking for Friends that resides in my small but holistically abundant cookbook library. There you have it plenty of reasons why, but simply the opportunity to indulge the 12+ gathered at The Duck Blind to spend Christmas eve together is reason enough for me.
Note: The Kumquat Refrigerator Pie recipe found on the carton lid from Dade City has been reserved for some future occasion.

May any and all JOY find its way to you and yours during the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation

Life Enrichment is like a travel and learn program...offering infusions that make every day life thereafter far more interesting! ~ Ann-Marie Adams, Reflections on a Meaningful Life