My photo
East Coast USA, United States
Teach. Write. Engage. Speak. Porch Sit.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Chickpea Fries

Portland, Oregon is one of my favorite places to visit. Not only does Portland explode with restaurants, food shops and markets but it also has made a unique contribution to American independent music, with a strong indie music scene in its backyard. It's been quite some time since I visited, but one location, one chef struck a cord with me, Scott Dolich @ The Park Kitchen (www.parkkitchen.com) and though I'm not sure this particular item, Chickpea Fries, still makes an appearance on the menu I thought I'd try to duplicate the indulgent twist on "french fries." These crisp on the outside, tender on the inside jumbo fries are superb paired with pumpkin ketchup but can definitely stand on their own as a palate pleaser [so implies the bar food guide where I found the recipe, Food & Wine Cocktails 2007] The only ingredients I'm lacking in my kitchen: the sambai oelek to spike up the fries (will check in one of our local Asian markets) and the chick pea flour (which I can grab locally on Lady's Island at Its Only Natural). Pick up food, that's what this is and as the proverbial blog tag line implies forks and spoons need not apply.

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1 1/2 teaspoons sambai oelek
4 cups water
2 cups chickpea flour
Kosher salt
Vegetable oil, for frying
All purpose flour for dusting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation

Life Enrichment is like a travel and learn program...offering infusions that make every day life thereafter far more interesting! ~ Ann-Marie Adams, Reflections on a Meaningful Life